Saturday, August 12, 2006

Avoided Military Service

I'm currently reading 50 Simple Things You Can Do To Fight The Right, by Earthworks Action. Their list of Radical Right talk show hosts and prominent Republicans who did not serve in the military bears repeating, and gives pause for reflection.

MEDIA PERSONALITIES:

George Will: Did not serve
Bill O'Reilly: Did not serve
Paul Gigot: Did not serve
Bill Bennett: Did not serve
Pat Buchanan: Did not serve
Michael Savage: Did not serve
Bill Kristol: Did not serve
Sean Hannity: Did not serve
Rush Limbaugh: Did not serve (4-F with a "pilonidal cyst")

PROMINENT REPUBLICANS

Speaker of the House Dennis Hastert: Avoided draft, did not serve
Former House Majority Leader Tom Delay: Avoided draft, did not serve
House Majority Whip Our Very Own Roy Blunt: Did not serve
Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist (R-KY): Did not serve
Senate Majority Whip Mitch McConnell (R-KY): Did not serve
Former Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott (R-MS): Avoided draft, did not serve
Rick Santorum (R-PA) third-ranking Republican in the Senate: Did not serve
Former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich (R-GA): Avoided draft, did not serve
Jeb Bush, Governer (R-FL): Did not serve
VP Dick Cheney: Several deferments--the last by marriage (in his own words "had other priorities than military service"). He really could have benefited from the firearms training!
Karl Rove: Avoided draft, did not serve

2 comments:

Rock said...

Hey betty b., I didn't serve either. I was one of those long-haired hippies that protested the war. Anyway, I'm smarter now, or dumber, depending on your point of view.

Thank you so much for notifying me about my site problem. I've removed most of the usual suspects from my template, and now will test on a Test blog putting them back one by one to see if there are one or two major culprits.

As it stands now, the site doesn't get hung up anymore on any browser, and loads in about 15 seconds. Let me know if that's fast enough.

By the way, Betty, did you serve? Hah! Gotcha.

Anyway, to my favorite liberal, have a great day!

Betty B. said...

Rock,

I see we can add your name to the list of those willing to send our military men and women into harm's way, in an ill thought out war, with no plan for success, and the inability to concede that it was a mistake, when you were not personally willing to serve during a time of war(Vietnam).

At the time of Vietnam, one of my best friends joined the military, but served in a secretarial position, although she was an officer. I was not inclined to join, and of course was not subject to the draft. Most of the men in my family and have served in some capacity in the military, and I have always supported their decision to do so, and appreciated their willingness to put their life on the line in defense of country.

In the case of the Iraq war, I think it has strengthened and emboldened the terrorists, and serves as a very handy training camp and rallying cry for Jihadists. It's time to formulate a workable plan for withdrawal from Iraq, and seriously go after Bin Laden and his followers.

Thank you for your input, as always.

Betty